Frequently Asked Questions


Do you offer a cleaning service?

Yes, all of our carers provide housekeeping duties whilst we also employ carers that focus on cleaning who can provide a variety of services including ironing and laundry.


What services do you provide?

Our services include:

  • Sittings
  • Personal care
  • Cleaning and domestic duties
  • Prompting of medication
  • Overnight care*
  • Cleaning
  • Preparation of meals
  • Shopping trips
  • Accompany and travel for appointments and social trips
  • 24 Hours emergency contact phone for any accidents or concerns. 

For more information on the services we provide Click here


What training do you give your carers?

All our carer’s are being trained in line with the Care Certificate.  The Care Certificate is an identified set of standards that health and social care workers adhere to in their daily working life.  The Care Certificate is a standard that anyone new to care must complete in order to work in care on their own.  At Maria Care we are training all our new carers to this standard to help ensure quality care.

For more information on the care certificate please visit:

Our team are spot checked regularly by managers and we also complete detailed supervisions to support our carers in providing the best service. All new starters complete two weeks of shadowing with an experienced carer before being allowed to attend a client’s property on their own.  We hold regular drop-in sessions with our carers and also support them in developing their careers in care through NVQ qualifications.  This year we have 6 team members completing NVQ qualifications with us.


Highly engaged staff – and by this we mean individuals who are committed to their organisations  and involved in their roles – are more likely to bring their heart and soul to work, to take the initiative to  ‘go the extra mile’ and to collaborate effectively with others. 


(Ben Collins, TheKing’sFund>, February 2015)


For information on our recruitment please see our Careers section.


I think my relative or friend is in need of care,  what should I do?

You can get in touch with your local authority who will be able to provide more information.  If needed they can arrange a care and support needs assessment.  If the council agree that care is needed you will have the option to let the council arrange this for you or choose to keep control and arrange your own care, still funded by the council.

You can choose who provides your care whether partially, completely funded or paying privately.   It’s Your Choice!


How do I fund care?

Considering methods of funding care can be very daunting for many of us.  The information below is designed to help guide you through the process.  In some cases you may be eligible for support from your local council to help cover part or all of the costs associated with the care.

You can find out more about your eligibility by getting in touch with your local council and requesting a ‘care and support needs assessment.’

If you have savings and property over £23,250 you could be responsible for covering the costs of the care.  From April 2016 this will change to saving over £27,000.  If your savings are  between £17,000 and £23,250 or lower you may be eligible for full or partial funding.  Please note this is a guide, but you can get up to date information from the local council following the completion of a care and support needs assessment’.


Direct payments and personal budgets:

If your care is to be partially or fully funded by the council then you will often receive the funding via a method known as direct payments.  In such cases the client sets up a separate account which the council will make payments into and can then be used by the client to fund their care.

Direct payments give the client more choice and control in managing their own care.  Selecting your own provider and managing the payments yourself allows for a more personalised service with independent living at the centre of it.

For more information on direct payments please visit: